Skip to main content

Week In Progress

The past week has been my official first working week at the DMS due to a few medical issues. As one would expect I sit in front of a  computer at work almost everyday exploring the latest digital media software, going through the theoretical aspects of digital media or updating my blog on a weekly basis.

We just started with the theory aspects of digital media. And as one may assume, it really is TECHNICAL! One would never expect to leave the classroom theoretical knowledge behind and training, and only to be confronted with that at your work place-but in my line of work there is a lot of theory behind the actually final product you see when you view a video.

For some odd reason however, I had booked myself in at work for about 5 hours per day but it does not seem to be going that way this week due to the fact that I have assignments and tests all due this week. I hope next week will be better. The working environment is quite conducive, our coordinator almost giving us free-reign on the posts and work we do while we are here does really help because there is nothing more boring than having a strict mandate to work.

I have learnt quite a lot in the past week and that has prompted me to publish my first post. I also do have suggestions based on this post for the University of the Western Cape in its approach to innovative education. The post soon to follow this will highlight my suggestion.

I hope you do enjoy this learning experience with me. I shall keep you updated on the latest development and innovation with regards to new technology (even if it does not directly involve digital media). Please do visit the University of the Western Cape's Center for Innovation Education & Communication Technologies on http://ciect.wordpress.com.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Story (The Script and the CMap)

Recently, my coordinator assigned tasks to us on Asana (a platform that I plan to reveiw on some other day) to tell a digital story. Well, the brief being that we must tell a story that would leave a lesson to whom so ever comes across it (but the brief was not in those words). The task has different phases and parts to it, so that makes the task easier to deal with and handle. I started off with producing a script for the digital story. The script is just a wording of what the visual story and the narration of the story will be composed of. I loved writing the script, pouring the lessons I have learned thus far into such a script was a good experience. The CMap was kind of tricky hey, having to draw a concept map that captures the whole concept of the digital story was very tricky. It was my first time having to produce a copy of CMap document that would be used for such purposes. I did not struggle at all with the Concept Map as much as I expected to struggle. Currently I am co...

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Well, this week has been quite a beautiful week for me hey. I got to play around with a lot of amazing software that I went on to review. I also had the superb chance to look at Photoshop CS6. Adobe has been making absolutely good progress when it comes to developing their software (and basically taking over the world while they are at it!). The latest version of Photoshop I used in isolation without the assistance of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I must say: I AM IMPRESSED. Apart from the fact that one has to pay close to R9000 for the softwar and an additional R1200 for Photoshop Lightroom, one did get everything they paid for. It took me about a few hours finding my way around this new baby. Another 30 minutes trying to figure out how to use the baby was worth it. The User Interface on the software is so user friendly I have even considered dropping Instagram as a Photo editor and just sticking with CS6. I am not quite an expert when it comes to photoshopping but I am quite sure th...

Innovation in Motion

We were tasked with preparing a presentation that describes constraints that I am experiencing in my business. The presentation must also describe how the application of methods/tools/techniques learned during the course will enable me to better manage this situation. This final week was very nerve-wrecking and very interesting for me.  It was nerve-wrecking because I have a severe speech impediment (a stutter) that may unnecessarily cause me to take longer than the other students. So, I decided to record my presentation to ease this process. It was also very interesting because I work in a very complex organization that is part of a very dynamic and international Science and Technology project that is experiencing but also addressing complex challenges. It was exciting for me to outline these issues and also providing my proposed solutions to these challenges. Background and Overview Inter-University Institute for Data Intensive Astronomy (IDIA) was born out of the partnership of ...